Sunday, February 27, 2011

Odd Asian Eye Tape

Hong Kong never ceases to surprise me. Not a week goes by without seeing, hearing, reading or smelling something strange. Take for example the other week when I was browsing through Sasa, a Hong Kong cosmetics chain. Lined between the fruit shaped lip balms and Hello Kitty shower gels, I stumbled upon a rack of strange looking packages. On closer inspection these turned out to contain eye tape. Eye tape, how very odd!


After some research into this eye tape I learned that many Asian women desire to change the appearance of their eyelids.

Eyelids can generally be divided into two categories: the single eyelid and the double eyelid. With single eyelids, the eyelid is pretty much hidden by a skin fold that covers the eyelid. The amount of skin that falls over the eyelid varies, but most Asians have such single eyelids (eye A to G). Most Caucasians on the other hand have so-called double eyelids, whereby the eyelid is largely visible due to a crease in the eyelid (Eye H).


Whether it is an attempt for Asian women to look more Western or just to have their eyes to look more ‘open’, many Asian women are taking steps to have their mono eyelids changed to double eyelids and it is reported that Asian double eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasties, are the most common aesthetic cosmetic procedure in many parts of East Asia. But now, thanks to eye tape, Asian women no longer have to undergo surgery to obtain a double eye-lid.

While I personally have a double eyelid and definitely don’t need these stickers I decided to give the tape a shot for the sake of this article. Each package consists of approximately 30 oval shaped stickers that are to be applied just above the eye lashes thereby pushing the eyelid skin slightly back and creating a double eyelid. I have renewed respect for women who regularly wear this tape as it is not only difficult to apply, but it is also a rather uncomfortable feeling to have the stickers on your eye.


To be honest I don’t think it makes much difference and that single eyelids are perfectly beautiful but I guess at the end of the day, like with many things, it’s a matter of personal preference. Either way, I find the concept entertaining and I can add eye tape to my list of funny things I came across in Hong Kong.

See you soon!

No comments: